Abortion: where are the best Democrats of 2020?
Democrats in 2020 introduced policies for reproductive health like the most restrictive abortion laws in generations are being challenged in the courts of the Red States of America.
Catch up quickly: Most Democratic candidates agree on two things: codification Roe vs. Wade and overturn the Trump administration’s Title X gag rule. But candidates’ personal voting history on reproductive rights remains a sticking point: Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren and Amy Klobuchar all voted for the Hyde Amendment Politico reports.
- Former Vice President Joe Biden: He would support a congressional move to codify abortion rights if it becomes necessary and repeal the Trump administration’s gag order rule on Title X, a federal grant program intended to provide comprehensive and confidential family planning and health services.
- In June, Biden returned to its previous support for the Hyde Amendment – which prohibits the use of federal funds for abortion with three exceptions: rape, incest and to save a woman’s life.
- Senator Elizabeth Warren: She wants codify Roe vs. Wade, pass the Women’s Health Protection Act to prevent states from limiting or blocking access to abortion, repeal the Hyde Amendment, and end the Trump administration’s gag order rule on the family planning program known as Title X.
- Senator Bernie Sanders: He wants fully fund Planned Parenthood and Title X, and appointing federal judges who align with Roe vs. Wade. Sanders has argued that its Medicare for All proposal would guarantee “a woman’s right to control her own body by covering comprehensive reproductive care, including abortion”.
- Former Mayor Pete Buttigieg: If he is elected, he said he would appoint judges who “understand that freedom includes access to reproductive health and reproductive rights for women …” He considered codifying Roe vs. Wade, through AP. If he was elected he would repeal The Hyde Amendment.
- Former Technical Director Andrew Yang: He says his “universal basic income” project would help pregnant women who are in financial difficulty, which he says. lists as one of the “most effective ways to reduce the number of abortions” in America.
- Yang believes that the state’s requirements for access to abortion “should be subject to the supervision of a council of doctors.” If elected, he would appoint judges aligned with Roe vs. Wade.
- Senator Amy Klobuchar: She said she will appoint judges who support Roe vs. Wade at Family Planning Forum in June. Klobuchar wants to codify Roe vs. Wade and repeal the Trump administration’s gag order rule on title X.
- Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg: It supports codification Roe vs. Wade, as well as the repeal of the Hyde Amendment, the Trump administration’s Title X gag rule. His maternal health plan calls for centralizing CDC maternal mortality data and allowing low-income women to purchase a public insurance option for free.
Editor’s Note: This story has been updated to include more information on the policy. Beto O’Rourke, Julián Castro, Cory Booker and Kamala Harris have been removed from their posts after dropping out of the 2020 presidential race.